Public Health Department Job
Environmental Health Specialist
Columbus, NC (Polk County)
Polk County Consolidated Human Services Agency in Columbus, NC has an immediate need for an Environmental Health Specialist
Assignment: Immidiate need for TFE Inspections in early July
Position: Environmental Health Specialist
The Environmental Health Specialists perform professional environmental health work in the promotion of public health through education, surveillance, consultation, inspection, and enforcement of state, local, and federal environmental health laws and regulations.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
· Regulatory and enforcement responsibilities are associated with all or a portion of the following: food establishments, lodging, public swimming pools, tattoo parlors, assisted living and nursing homes, residential care facilities, child care facilities, adult day service facilities, schools, camps, child lead poisoning prevention, local confinement facilities, migrant housing, on-site wastewater disposal systems, individual water supplies, communicable disease outbreak investigations, complaint investigations and facility plan review.;
· Other duties may include enforcement of local ordinances and programs related to mass gathering events, vector control, solid waste management and indoor air quality.
· Monitoring food handling practices, personal hygiene, on-site liquid and solid waste collection and disposal, water sources, and compliance with established sanitation standards. A numerical score and a letter grade or classification is assigned to the establishment based on the evaluation;
· Issuing permits to new/remodeled establishments after an evaluation indicates compliance with applicable rules;
· Suspending and revoking permits upon identification of an imminent public health hazard;
· Conducting epidemiological investigations of food borne disease outbreaks;
· Investigating and resolving complaints from citizens and;
· Preparing for legal action and court related cases as needed. This position is also responsible for carrying out the state mandated enforcement of the state law "An Act to Prohibit Smoking in Certain Public Places”
· Reports to Environmental Health Supervisor.
Secondary/Back-up Duties and Responsibilities
May conduct site evaluations to determine suitability for the permitting and installation of on-site wastewater disposal systems and private water supply wells in accordance with North Carolina Laws and Rules. Designs on-site wastewater disposal systems for the issuance of improvement and construction authorization permits. Conducts installation inspections of new and repaired on-site wastewater disposal and well water systems. Maintains accurate documentation for possible legal action. Conducts water quality sampling and reports results verbally and in writing to interested individuals.
The ideal candidates will possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
· Working knowledge of food sanitation, food-borne diseases, communicable diseases, protection of water supplies, solid waste management, and institutional sanitation;
· Working knowledge of inspection methods and investigation techniques as applied in environmental health;
· Working knowledge of environmental health laws, rules, and procedures as well as a complete understanding of the concepts of public health law;
· Ability to analyze and comprehend a wide variety of technical and administrativeregulations, records, and reports;
· Ability to maintain effective working relationships with other employees and the public;
· Ability to develop and express ideas and opinions concisely, comprehensively, and clearly in oral and written form;
· Ability to independently plan and schedule work activities;
· Ability to apply environmental health knowledge and techniques in the investigation of environmental health problems;
· Ability to exercise sound judgment and deal tactfully with a wide range of public contacts while enforcing public health laws and regulations;
· Ability to communicate with the public effectively and to speak to large groups of people in an educational setting.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Typical Qualifications: Knowledge, Skills, Abilities Knowledge of environmental and public health theories, principles, and practices. Knowledge of relevant state and federal laws and regulations. Knowledge of septic, water, food handling and related sanitation practices. Ability to evaluate data and to read plats and blueprints. Knowledge of county ordinances, department policies and procedures, and state and local legislative and judicial processes and procedures. Knowledge of government accounting and budgeting practices. Skill in management and supervision. Skill in establishing priorities and organizing work. Skill in gathering and analyzing complex data. Skill in developing short- and long-range plans. Skill in operating standard office equipment such as a computer, calculator, scanner, copier, facsimile machine, and audiovisual equipment. Skill in public and interpersonal relations. Skill in oral and written communication.
We are seeking an individual with an on-site/well authorization and an REHS credential, other authorizations are a plus. We will give strong consideration to a qualified intern that has completed centralized training with an on-site authorization.
Desired Education and Experience
(1) Graduation from a four-year college or university with 30 semester hours (or as stated in NC GS 90A-53) of course work in the physical or biological sciences and two years of experience in environmental health; or
(2) A four year or Master's degree in environmental health from a program which is accredited by the National Accreditation Council for Environmental Health Curricula of the National Environmental Health Association and one year of experience in environmental health.
(3) Must be a Registered Sanitarian by the North Carolina Board of Sanitarian Examiners.
QUALIFIED CANDIDATES ONLY SUBMIT RESUME TO:
Phone: 828-894-2114 Ext. 228