Public Health Department Job
Environmental Health Specialist
Roxboro, NC (Person County)
POSITION: ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH SPECIALIST
General Statement of Duties
Person County Health Department is accepting applications for the following full-time position:
ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH SPECIALIST
Perform professional environmental health work in the promotion of public health through education, surveillance, consultation, inspection and enforcement of state, local, and federal environmental health laws and regulations. This position will work primarily in the area of on-site water protection, which includes the well and on-site wastewater treatment and disposal programs. Must possess the ability to exercise sound judgment and deal tactfully with clients while enforcing public health laws and regulations.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Working knowledge of environmental health laws, rules, and procedures, as well as an understanding of the concepts of public health law.
- Practical knowledge of microbiology, biology, chemistry, food science, epidemiology, soil science, entomology, and basic engineering technology as applies to environmental health practices.
- General knowledge of the responsibilities of other agencies involved in environmental health.
- Ability to analyze and comprehend a wide variety of technical and administrative rules, records, and reports.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and deal tactfully with a wide range of public contacts while enforcing public health laws and regulations.
- Ability to motivate and educate business and property owners and the public in matters related to protecting and promoting public health.
- Ability to develop and express ideas and opinions concisely, comprehensively, and clearly in oral and written form.
- Ability to independently plan and schedule work activities and perform assignments.
- Ability to apply professional knowledge in the investigation of environmental health issues.
Minimum Education and Experience
MIMINUM EDUCATION/ QUALIFICATIONS – Graduation from four-year college or university with 30 semester hours of course work in physical or biological sciences and two years’ experience in environmental health; or a four-year or Master’s degree in environmental health from a program which is accredited by the National Accreditation Council for Environmental Health Curricula of the National Environmental Health Association and one year of experience in environmental health. Must possess or be able to obtain certification as a Registered Environmental Health Specialist by the NC State Board of Environmental Health Specialist Examiners.
Trainee: Four-year degree with a minimum of 30 semester hours of course work in physical and biological sciences. Eligible to be registered as an Environmental Health Specialist Intern by the NC State Board of Environmental Health Specialist Examiners.
Must possess a valid driver’s license.
May be required to possess additional certification(s) as deemed necessary by the County.
EXCELLENT BENEFITS INCLUDE: medical, dental, vision, life insurance, vacation and sick leave, approximately 12 paid holidays, 401K and member of the Local Government Retirement System.
Regular work hours: 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (37.5 hr. work week /Flex schedule available)
APPLICATION PROCESS: A completed online Person County application, with a cover letter, resume, and a college transcript attached to the online application.
For complete job description click on the following:
An Equal Opportunity/E-Verify Employer
Person County conducts pre-employment screening on candidates. Job offers are conditional pending the following:
- A pre-employment drug screen for all candidates. Positions designated by Person County as Safety Sensitive are also subject to random drug and alcohol testing.
- A background check for all candidates. Some positions also require a credit check.
- Additional screening and testing required for some positions.
- Within 3 days of the start of your employment with the County, you must be able to provide proof of your eligibility to work in the US.
To learn more about this position visit: