Alliance Staffing Job
Morehead City, NC (Carteret County)
NCAPHA IS ACTIVELY RECRUITING FOR A CONTRACT MEDICAL ASSISTANT TO BE PLACED AT THE CARTERET COUNTY HEALTH DEPT. IN MOREHEAD CITY, NC
TITLE: Medical Assistant
General Statement of Duties
The primary purpose of the Medical Assistant (MA) is to perform routine, simple and standardized tests in the laboratory as well as draw blood samples from patients, which are used in the diagnosis and treatment of patients. This position is also utilized to assist with processing patients through clinic and assisting with administrative duties in the clinical area.
Distinguishing Features of the Class
This is a temporary position to facilitate the continuation of clinic and lab services during the absence of staff. The Medical Assistant performs routine tests that may cross several medical technological areas where the tests are specific, predictable, and require minimal interpretation. “Work is performed under the direct supervision of the Nursing Director
Duties and Responsibilities
• Blood Collection Procedures: Venipuncture and capillary collections required. Collections by various methods require good judgement as to which method of collection is necessary-vaccutainer system, syringe and needle or capillary puncture.
Must determine appropriate order of blood collection and understand methodology.
Processing of collected blood may require spinning blood samples and pouring off serum into transfer tubes for transport.
Routine tests that are performed are: Hemoglobin, Hemoglobin A1C, Glucose, Urinalysis, Pregnancy testing, and Others as indicated.
The MA is responsible for receiving specimens from a variety of sources and verifying identification information. Responsible for paper and electronic specimen processing, specimen storage and accurately completing laboratory work orders.
The MA must be knowledgeable of applicable techniques of procedures performed and refer test results and questionable situations to medical laboratory supervisor.
Work also includes the disposal of outdated specimens, stocking and preparing needed media and reagents; and coordinating priority specimen processing for emergency situations.
MA is responsible for performing quality control on all instrument/regents utilized to assure accuracy and proficiency. Responsible for laboratory temperature checks daily and eyewash/shower checks weekly.
MA is responsible for documentation of all laboratory procedures and assures timely receipt of reports, documentation and proper distribution to clinical staff.
Other duties as necessary to ensure the efficiency of the Department. Mentoring local Community College phlebotomy students.
• Working patients up (getting vitals, chief complaints and any preliminary information) for the provider.
• Assisting the provider with minor office procedures when necessary.
• Cleaning and stocking rooms as needed and documenting on cleaning log.
• Answering clinic phone and retrieving messages and coordinating care with the patient based on guidance from provider or RN.
• Managing referral processes as needed by communicating between clinic, clinic support staff and patient.
• Retrieving medical records from other providers to be reviewed by providers or RN.
• Accuracy is a must and needs to be carried out in duty; therefore mental concentration and visual attention are required in every duty performed. The MA must be able to accurately perform multiple tasks at any time.
• This work requires the regular exertion of up to 10 pounds of force, frequent exertion of up to 25 pounds of force and occasional exertion of up to 50 pounds of force.
• Work regularly requires sitting and using hands to finger, handle or feel, frequently requires walking, speaking or hearing, reaching with hands and arms and repetitive motions and occasionally requires standing, climbing or balancing and stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling.
• Work requires close vision, distance vision, depth perception, color perception, and peripheral vision.
• Vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word and conveying detailed or important instructions to others accurately, loudly or quickly.
• Hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels and to receive detailed information through oral communications and/or to make fine distinctions in sound.
• Work requires preparing and analyzing written or computer data, operating machines and observing general surroundings and activities.
• Work requires occasional exposure to blood borne pathogens and may be required to wear specialized personal protective equipment and exposure to outdoor weather conditions.
• Work is generally in a moderately noisy location (e.g. business office, light traffic).
• Due to the high level of hazardous exposure, only authorized personnel are permitted in the laboratory All unauthorized personnel should be escorted. To ensure the safety of both patients and staff, the MLA will maintain cleaning procedures recommended by OSHA standards.
Desirable Education and Experience
Graduation from high school and graduation from a diploma Medical Assisting program from an accredited community college.
QUALIFIED CANDIDATES APPLY AT: WWW.NCAPHA.ORG
(Indicate this position on application)