Primary job function and duties:
This is an entry level professional nursing work in providing primary, preventive, and rehabilitative care to individuals and families in Public Health programs. Employees independently demonstrate and implement techniques of nursing care and counsel for promotion of health and prevention of disease. This work is done through a combination of direct clinical care and public health program implementation and oversight.
Responsibilities include directing the work done within a program and advising other staff about program rules and guidelines. Includes assisting in policy development and revision. Employees will be expected to assist in data collection, review, and reporting in any project/program that they are associated with. Employee will act as case managers, ensuring continuity of care through making referrals to medical facilities, social services agencies, etc. when needed and agreed upon by the patient or family. Will participate in the quality assurance/evaluation program of the clinic. Utilizes a web-based electronic medical records system. Other duties as assigned.
Supervised by:Nursing Supervisor
· Graduation from a four-year college or university with a B.S. in Nursing which includes a Public Health Nursing rotation; or Master’s in Public Health and graduation from an accredited nursing program; or graduation from an accredited nursing program and 1 year of professional nursing experience; or an equivalent combination of training andexperience.
· A current license to practice as a Registered Nurse in North Carolina by the N. C. Board ofNursing.
· Physical demands: Standing (45% of time); walking (45%); Sitting (10%); lifting, 40-50 lbs; carrying, 20 lbs; pushing, <200 lbs; pulling, 45-50 lbs; pushing with assist, >200 lbs; climbing; stooping; balancing; kneeling. Potential environmental exposures: radiation, chemicals, infectious agents, fluid, needle/syringes, wastehandling,airbornepathogens.Sightrequirements:acuity,nearandfar;depthperception;colorvision; field of vision. Hearing requirements: ordinary conversation (constantly) and other sounds(frequently).
· Basicknowledgeof,andskillin,theapplicationofnursingtheory,practice,principles,andtechniques employed in the field of public health and related programs; of and ability to apply the principles and practices of publichealth
· Workingknowledgeofcurrentsocialandeconomicproblemsrelatingtopublichealth,includinghealth disparities; available resources and organizations and the ability to coordinate these asneeded.
· Ability to record accurately services rendered and to interpret and explain records, reports, and medical instructions
· Adequatecomputerskillstoallowcommunication,patientrecorddocumentation,andaccessingof information
o CPR and AEDtrainings
o Dispensing of Drugs by Public HealthNurses
o Family Planning Title Xtrainings
o Introduction to Principles and Practices of Public Health and Public HealthNursing
o ICS 100, 200, 700, and800
o Communicable DiseaseTrainings
§ Introduction to Communicable Disease Surveillance and Investigation inNC
§ NC EDSSTraining(s)
§ Introduction toTuberculosis