Public Health Department Job
PH Nurse II
Washington, NC (Beaufort County)
Beaufort County Health Department
PUBLIC HEALTH NURSE iI
Opening Date May 13, 2019
Closing Date Open Until Filled
Hiring Salary Range
Hours of Work Alternating Schedule
Applications must be submitted on the state PD107 form
Mail Applications To:
Description of Work
The primary purpose of this position is to assist in the provision of health services to the inmates of the Beaufort County Detention Center. This position will assist in conducting medical assessments of inmates, assist the physician or physician extender in examining inmates responding to sick calls, address medical issues following nursing protocols and physician orders, and administer medications.
In addition, this position will also provide services in programs provided at the health department. This includes, but is not limited to, Healthy Living Clinic services, administering vaccines, providing blood pressure screenings, TB skin tests, serving as a telephone triage nurse, and providing administrative support for the Public Health Nurse Supervisor and Public Health Nurse Program Coordinators. This position will work an alternating schedule, including some nights and weekends.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
Graduation from a four-year college or university with a B.S. in Nursing which includes a Public Health Nursing rotation and one year of Public Health nursing experience; or a Master’s in Public Health and graduation from a school of professional nursing and one year of professional nursing experience; or graduation from a school of professional nursing and two years of professional nursing experience including one year of Public Health nursing experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience. Work against applicants will be accepted.
License and Certification Requirements
A current license to practice as a Registered Nurse in North Carolina by the NC Board of Nursing; Current CPR certification; Valid driver’s license.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
· Considerable knowledge of, and skill in, the application of nursing theory, practice, principles, and techniques employed in the field of public health and related programs
· Considerable knowledge of and ability to apply the principles and practices of public health
· Knowledge of available resources and organizations and the ability to coordinate these as needed
· General knowledge of current social and economic problems relating to public health, including health disparities
· Ability to plan, coordinate, and oversee the work of others; ability to deal tactfully with others and to exercise good judgment in appraising situations and making decisions
· Ability to work in partnership with patients and with other service providers to elicit needed information and to maintain effective working relationships
· Ability to record accurately services rendered and to interpret and explain records, reports, and medical instructions
· Adequate computer skills to allow communication, patient record documentation, and accessing of information
· Annual and sick leave
· Paid holidays
· Health Insurance and Life Insurance
· Supplemental insurance options (Vision, Dental, Cancer, etc.)
· LGERS Retirement, 401k options