Public Health Department Job
PH Nurse II
Winston-Salem, NC (Forsyth County)
FORSYTH COUNTY (NC)
invites applications for the position of:
Public Health Nurse II
SALARY: $23.73 - $27.29 Hourly
$49,351.34 - $56,754.04 Annually
OPENING DATE: 10/10/19
CLOSING DATE: Continuous
LOCATION: 799 North Highland Avenue, Winston-Salem
DEPARTMENT: Public Health
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
The Forsyth County Department of Public Health is seeking to hire a Public Health Nurse II (Communicable Disease Nurse) to investigate, educate, control, and prevent the spread of communicable disease in the community. The Communicable Disease Nurse assures that health policies and procedures adhere to legal and regulatory statutes and ethical standards of nursing practice. The goal for the person in this position is to assess clients' signs and symptoms and teach them specific communicable disease control measures; this will require proficient assessment skills along with independent working skills. The person selected for this position must be able to report observations and to communicate with persons from all socioeconomic backgrounds.
The candidate selected will need to be intensely trained on the NC-EDSS disease reporting system and trained about specific communicable disease; this training will assist the nurse in meeting the guidelines as required by state law.
The ideal candidate will possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of and skill in the application of nursing theory, practices, principles,
and techniques employed in the field of public health and related programs;
- Working knowledge of and the ability to apply the principles and practices of public health;
- Working knowledge of current social and economic problems relating to public health;
- Knowledge of available resources and organizations in the community;
- Ability to record accurately the services rendered and to interpret and explain records,
reports, and medical instructions;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees;
- Ability to deal tactfully with others and to exercise good judgment in appraising situations and
making decisions and;
- Ability to secure the cooperation of clients, to elicit needed information, and to maintain
effective working relationships.
The candidate selected must pass fit testing with an N-95 respirator to be considered for this position.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Graduation from a four year college or university with a B.S. Degree in Nursing which includes a public health nursing rotation and one year of public health nursing experience or;
Graduation from an accredited school of professional nursing and two years of professional nursing experience including one year in public health.
Must be licensed to practice as a Registered Nurse in North Carolina by the North Carolina Board of Nursing.
Valid driver's license required. This position required travel to homes, schools, and to long term care facilities as needs arise regarding outbreaks or infection control programs.
This position requires the nurser to be able to be fit tested for an n-95 mask. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The goal of this nursing position is to assess a client's signs and symptoms and to teach the person specific communicable disease control measures.
Essential duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assisting Long Term Care Facilities (LTCF) in recognizing infection control problems and guiding them to secure appropriate remediation;
- Working with the Environmental Health Division in regards to lead level follow-up and outbreaks in LTCF and restaurants;
- Working with Forsyth County Animal Control in regards to animal bites and exposure;
- Entering diseases and lab work into the North Carolina Electronic Disease Surveillance System (NC-EDSS) and;
- Providing consultation with respect to and review of immunization records at daycare facilities to include follow up of students who are out of compliance.