Alliance Staffing Job
Public Health Education Specialist: Substance Misuse Educator
Beaufort, NC (Beaufort County)
NCAPHA is actively recruiting for Public Health Education Specialist: Substance Misuse Educator position placed at Beaufort County Health Department.
Beaufort County Health Department
Public Health Education Specialist: Substance Misuse Educator
Primary Purpose of Position
The primary purpose of this position is to provide comprehensive substance misuse health education for Beaufort County adolescents ages 11-14 through an education intervention program. The program will be classroom-based and focus on substance abuse prevention. The program will be designed to prevent teenage drug and alcohol abuse, tobacco use, violence and other risk behaviors by teaching students’ self-management skills, social skills, social skills, and drug awareness and resistance skills.
Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.; with one hour for lunch. There may be after hours and weekend work if necessary for program related events.
This is a contract Public Health Education Specialist position hired through the NC Alliance for Public Health Agencies
Description of Responsibilities and Duties
- Provide education and intervention services for enrolled program participants. A minimum of 1 class per school semester will be conducted.
- Services will include health education, counseling, and support in the following program areas:
- Delinquency and criminal behavior
- Drugs, including but not limited to: opiates, fentanyl, marijuana/cannabis, etc.
- Vaping and e-cigarettes
- Social and peer norms, as well as attitudes about drugs
- Self-efficacy and refusal, delay and communication skills in pressure situations in order to avoid drug use
- Skills to communicate with parents or other adults about drug and substance use
- Coordinate group educational sessions for program participants.
- Create safe and effective learning environment in the classroom/setting.
- Implement all activities using the interactive strategies
- Implement all role-playing activities so that refusal and delay skills are explained and modeled, and participants repeatedly practice those skills
- Relay messages regarding important values and drug misuse behaviors that are clear and emphasized repeatedly.
- Serve on the Health Education and Promotion team
- Conduct and/or participate in community outreach and education sessions related to substance use activity, the prevention of substance misuse, adolescent development, healthy life skills, healthy relationships, and parent-child communication.
- Administer and review entry and exit feedback surveys as to measure deliverable outcomes.
- Administer participant satisfaction surveys to program participants upon completion of the curriculum. Survey results will be evaluated Health Education Supervisor.
- Participate in quarterly program webinars, annual skill building workshops and other trainings required.
Other Position Characteristics
- Accuracy Required in Work:
Employee will be trained in an evidence-based curriculum and will maintain fidelity to the model. Accuracy is essential in direct community and patient prevention education. Proper counseling and education must be provided. Education must be provided at the appropriate level of comprehension to ensure the client understands implications of the behavior.
- Consequence of Error:
Consequence of error is dependent upon the error that has occurred. Consequence of errors can be severe in the areas of client confidentiality and providing incorrect information.
- Instructions Provided to Employee:
Agency specific orientation will be provided. The employee will complete necessary curriculum support training module.
- Supervision received by Employee:
Human Services Planner IV will serve as the direct supervisor for this position. The employee’s work will be reviewed for accuracy and adherence to program guidelines. The employee’s performance will be assessed during an annual job assessment.
- Variety and Purpose of Personal Contacts:
This employee will have contact with other health department staff, county agencies, partnering agencies, Beaufort County School System staff, parents of participants, and student participants.
- Physical Effort:
Minimal physical exertion, some lifting of supplies or equipment may be required.
- Work Environment and Conditions:
Work environment will include the health department and several Beaufort County Schools.
- Machines, Tools, Instruments, Equipment and Materials Used:
Telephone, automobile, computer, basic office equipment
- Safety for Others:
Safety for others is a priority. Following established safety practices is essential to safeguard the well-being of both participants and staff.
- Dynamics of Work:
Factors that may impact this position include changes in Reducing the Risk curriculum and guidance directives from the Division of Public Health.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education and Experience Requirements
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of the programs within the assigned area of responsibility; of the principles and practice of public health and public health education; and of community structure and leadership patterns.
- General knowledge of community health and human service systems; of modern educational theory and techniques of public health education and of display techniques.
- Considerable skill in the development, selection, and use of effective educational materials.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with agency staff, community organizations and the public.
- Ability to analyze situations accurately and to adopt effective course of action
- Ability to stimulate interest and cooperation among various groups in carrying out health education programs or activities.
- Ability to collect and interpret data and statistics.
- Ability to speak effectively in public and to express ideas clearly in writing.
Required Minimum Training:
- Graduation from a four-year college or university with a major in health education and one year of experience in public health education or a related field; or graduation from a four-year college or university and two years experience in public health education.
- Successful completion of the curriculum training
- Other workshops/trainings as recommended by supervisor
License or Certification Required by Statute or Regulation:
- Must maintain a valid, unrestricted NC driver’s license
APPLICATION PROCESS: Qualified candidates apply at: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=8051017b-5cd0-4bd7-9972-7dc8ffcf752e&jobId=33312&lang=en_US&source=CC788055