Position:Public Health Educator I
Salary Range:$31,534.72 – $44,557.73
Opening Date:January 26, 2023
Closing Date:Until Filled
This is a repost. Previous applicants are still being considered and do NOT need to reapply.
An employee in this class develops and implements health education programs to the citizens of the county. Work involves utilizing a variety of marketing and outreach methods and materials which could include radio spots, public displays and media releases. The employee will develop broad and targeted messages related to health promotion, emerging public health issues/topics and health data. Work involves representing the Alexander County Health Department in the community by positive interaction with citizens, other community organizations and the media. Employee will serve as the agency’s Accreditation Coordinator, completing and compiling data for submission. Work is performed under the supervision of the Director of Nursing.
• Creates and maintains marketing and health promotion materials, such as videos, brochures, flyers, ads, handouts, inserts, e-announcements, digital screen messages, data reports, newsletters, etc., with a dual focus on service promotion and health promotion.
• Inventories educational materials and orders as necessary.
• Manages projects, including concept through production, of annual report; researches and collects health data through surveys, health screenings and statistical information.
• Collects data, analyzes data and creates the Community Health Assessment (CHA).
• Compiles data for the annual State of the County Health Report (SOTCH).
• Ensures the community partners, stakeholders and citizens are aware of the outcomes for CHA and SOTCH.
• Maintains the department scrapbook with all related published information.
• Stimulates public interest through education exhibits and visual aids (ex. bulletin boards in house and in community with the latest educational materials pertinent to community health and awareness).
• Writes or creates visual aid presentations or provides technical or graphic assistance as requested for the development of visual aid presentations.
• Assists with planning, managing or supporting health education activities as needed;
• Assists with planning and attending community events, health fairs, and other outreach activities as needed. Keeps a log of all community events attended.
• Establishes risk reduction projects in the schools, industries and community. Formulates effective program to address identified health risks. Coordinates meeting sites and schedules. Furnishes appropriate education on specific risk reduction projects.
• Sits on various community committees that are related to community health and helps to set goals.
• Completes the HDSAI, and in charge of compiling documentation being used to support the activity within the evidence/explanation section in the order it is asked for within the activity. Assigns benchmarks to other department heads but solely responsible for completed document.
• Proactively establishes new media coverage opportunities and maintain ongoing media coverage opportunities resulting in positive press coverage.
• Builds and maintains relationships with key media reporters or representatives to facilitate press coverage.
• Answers calls and responds to media inquiries about programs, services and announcements in timely and professional manner.
• Stays informed of agency-related and health-related issues in the public/media spotlight that are both emergent and non-emergent and communicate those issues to key managers.
• Composes and distributes press materials that accurately reflect the agency’s objectives and activities.
• Maintains a history of press releases and media coverage.
• Attends appropriate public information meetings and trainings that relate to the role of public information officer.
• Respond to public inquiries for information regarding public health services in a timely and professional manner;
• Maintains accuracy of agency’s website and ensure it remains current.
• Develops and executes plans for the agency’s use of social media platforms.
• Gathers, tracks, updates and disseminates pertinent community health data to internal and external audiences on an ongoing basis.
• Develops news releases and outreach materials as appropriate to potential threats or as threats arise.
• Ensures consistent and appropriate utilization of media sources during a threat situation.
• Develops, updates and maintains pre-determined fact sheets and template press releases based on most common disease threats.
• Maintains contact database for Local Information Team and coordinates quarterly meetings.
• Contributes to the SNS risk communications plan.
• Participates in risk communications training and regional activities as required or needed.
• A master’s degree in public health education or in public health with a major in public health education; or
• Graduation from a four-year college or university with a major in health education and two years’ experience in public health education or a related field; or
• Graduation from a four-year college or university and three years’ experience in public health education; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Applications may be filed online at www.alexandercountync.gov or by mail to Alexander County Human Resources, 621 Liledoun Road, Taylorsville, NC 28681.
Or QUALIFIED CANDIDATES APPLY AT: www.ncapha.org/employment_center
(please indicate this position on the application)