Public Health Department Job
Randolph, NC (Randolph County)
Job Title: Dentist
Location: 2222 B South Fayetteville Street Asheboro NC 27205
General Definition of Work
This position is responsible for overall practice management of the public health dental program, including fiscal, clinical and business management. In addition, this position is responsible for providing comprehensive dental treatment for uninsured and underserved children ages 1-21; emergency treatment for adults in an onsite dental clinic; conducts dental screenings for selected grades; provides dental educational programs in the community; is responsible for community collaboration with sister and outside agencies. This position also supervises the dental assistant and dental hygienist.This position’s work requires independent professional responsibility and is performed under the general supervision of the agency director.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Provides program planning, administrative and clinical management, including performance measures, meeting accreditation benchmarks, implementation of policies & procedures. Monitors budget and works with Health Department administration to set budget goals.
- Sets clinical and non-clinical goals for the dental health program, such as production goals and planned community outreach projects.
- Supervises one dental hygienist and one dental assistant.
- Provides all necessary routine dental care for adults and comprehensive services for children. Examines and determines dental needs of clients and treatment plans; provides clinical treatment services. Performs clinical procedures.
- Makes valid assessments of conditions under which referral to a specialist is warranted; assists the patient/family in making the referral.
- Prescribes medications to treat a patient under appropriate conditions.
- Documents dental records accurately to manage risk, provide continuity of care, and assure quality of care.
- Handles the responsibility for the daily operations of the dental clinic; monitors quality of work; assures that any acts performed by the dental assistant and dental hygienist are in full compliance with the Dental Practice Act of North Carolina; provides the necessary training to staff as procedures are updated or changed.
- Serves as a dental/oral health consultant to the entire clinic staff and to other staff in the health department such as schools, community and clinical nurses, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, health educators, etc.
- Coordinates local dental health projects; directs and participates in dental screenings of school age children; and promotes dental health programs in public schools.
- Assists in promoting and maintaining good public relations among community groups and professional health organizations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of the essential functions, practices and procedures of a dental clinic and office. Knowledge of modern dentistry and recent developments in the field of dentistry. Ability to treat both adults and children as a general practice dentist. Ability to deal with combative children in a calm, effective manner. Ability to deal with culturally diverse populations in the provision of dental clinical services. Ability to prepare and deliver lectures on dental health education to professional and community groups. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, and representatives from civic/community groups and school systems. Ability to clinically supervise both professional and paraprofessional employees. Ability to administratively supervise a dental clinic.
Education and Experience
Requires a professional doctoral degree in dentistry and one year of dental experience. Possession of Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) license.
Examples of physical activities required in this position include: Performing exams and procedure for many hours per day. Filing papers. Walking to work station.
- Licensed to practice dentistry in the State of North Carolina.
Business Ethics: Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values
Communications: Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; Expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; Exhibits good listening and comprehension; Keeps others adequately informed; Selects & uses appropriate communication methods
Customer Service: Displays courtesy and sensitivity; Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Meets commitments; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service
Dependability: Responds to requests for service and assistance; Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Commits to doing the best job possible; Keeps commitments; Meets attendance and punctuality guidelines
Job Knowledge: Competent in required job skills & knowledge; Exhibits ability to learn and apply new skills; Keeps abreast of current developments; Requires minimal supervision; Displays understanding of how job relates to others; Uses resources effectively
Quality: Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Displays commitment to excellence; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality
Relationship Building: Builds rapport up, down, and across the organization; Establishes collaborative relationships to achieve objectives; Seeks win-win solutions to conflict; Develops network of professional contacts; Displays empathy and tolerates diverse viewpoints
Initiative: Volunteers readily; Undertakes self-development activities; Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; Asks for help when needed.
(please indicate this position on the application)