Public Health Department Job
Local Public Health Director- Macon County
Franklin, NC (Macon County)
Position: Local Public Health Director
Macon County, NC
Salary: $68,423 - $102,635
Closing date: Until filled
The Health Director directs and manages a total staff of 84+ employees with an annual budget of approximately $5.6 million. The Health Director is responsible for the overall operation of the Health Department and the public entity model health center to include planning, organizing, implementing, directing, evaluating and providing leadership in a variety of health programs including various clinics, environmental health, animal control, health education and WIC and integrated care. The Health Director is also responsible for budget/financial activities, personnel policies and procedures including staff assignments, hiring, firing, disciplinary actions and contract management. The Health Director represents the agency when meeting with state and local officials, community/service organizations, schools, hospitals and health professionals. The Health Director is appointed by and reports to the Macon County Board of Health in accordance with N.C.G.S. 130A-40.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
An ideal candidate must have general knowledge of management principles, techniques, and practices; thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of public health. A strong financial background with managing multiple programs and budgets: federal, state and local. A working knowledge of managing primary care and population health. A working knowledge of applicable federal and state laws, rules and regulations. An ability to exercise sound judgment in analyzing situations and making decisions and an ability to plan ahead, with visionary and strategic thinking skills. Be able to direct employees and programs in the various areas of responsibility; and, develop and maintain effective working relationships with the general public and with federal, state and local officials. Be able to direct and lead a public entity model community health center.
Minimum Training and Experience Requirements
1. A medical doctorate; or
2. A master’s degree in Public Health Administration, and at least one year of employment experience in health programs or health services; or
3. A master’s degree in a public health discipline other than public health administration, and at least three years of employment experience in health programs or health services; or
4. A master’s degree in public administration, and at least two years of experience in health programs or health services; or
5. A master’s degree in a field related to public health, and at least three years of experience in health programs or health services; or
6. A bachelor’s degree in public health administration or public administration and at least three years of experience in health programs or health services.
Note: Must meet minimum training and experience requirements in accordance with GS 130A-40 and GS 130A-45.5. For master’s degree related to public health, the determination must be made by the State Health Director.
A screening committee will review applications to select the best qualified applicants to be interviewed. Interviews will include a structured panel interview consisting of generally three (3) panelists.
How to apply:
· Applicants must register online or in person with NC Works. www.ncworks.gov
· Submit a State application (PD-107) and, if needed PD 107 continuation job sheet.
· Applicants must include 3 references with their contact information and the applicants valid email address for all correspondence from the employer to the applicant.
· A resume and college transcript must be attached to the completed PD-107.
· No applications are accepted at Macon County Human Resources or Macon County Public Health.
· A criminal background check will be completed before hiring.
**Registration and PD-107 are required and may be obtained from and submitted to NC Works on or before the closing date.
Division of Workforce Solutions - NC Works
Court House Annex
5 West Main Street
FRANKLIN, NC 28734
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER/ADA EMPLOYER
Note: All prospective employees are subject to a criminal background check.