Alliance Staffing Job
Mosquito Control Lab/Field Technician
Wilmington, NC (New Hanover County)
NCAPHA IS ACTIVELY RECRUITING FOR A CONTRACT MOSQUITO CONTROL LAB/FIELD TECHNICIAN TO BE PLACED AT THE NEW HANOVER COUNTY HEALTH DEPT.
Mosquito Control: Laboratory/Field Technician
Start July 1-October 31st, 2018
Funded by: FY18-19 DPH AA908
Assists the Environmental Health Supervisor of Vector Control Services with surveillance of mosquito populations in New Hanover County. Responsible for setting and collecting mosquito surveillance traps, identification of all mosquito species and counting all mosquitoes which will help to determine mosquito control efforts. Assist with general vector control duties and other surveillance monitoring as needed to support Vector Control services.
· Assists with the identification and enumeration of adult mosquitoes to genus and species collected in CO2 baited CDC light traps and other mosquito traps;
· Assists with mosquito larval identification;
· Assists with setting and retrieving CO2 baited CDC light traps and other types of traps in the field;
· Prepares and submits samples for laboratory testing;
· Performs other vector related surveillance work as needed; and
· Enters and analyzes data.
Knowledge and Skills
· Interest in working with insects under a microscope and an eagerness to learn about the different mosquito species and other vectors we have here in New Hanover County.
· Ability to gather, enter and analyze public health data using Microsoft Office Applications (e.g. Excel).
· Ability to collect and record data using GPS equipment (will train).
· Ability to be trained by the Environmental Health Supervisor in the identification of adult and larval mosquito species.
· Once trained in mosquito identification, ability to work independently and efficiently.
Training and Experience
Individuals who have received, or are working toward a degree in Biology, Entomology, Public Health, or related science field to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
As long as yearly funding allows through NC State Public Health Contract, would prefer candidate who can return yearly during mosquito season.
Valid NC Driver’s License
QUALIFIED CANDIDATES ONLY APPLY ONLINE AT: WWW.NCAPHA.ORG INDICATING THIS POSITION ON APPLICATION