Public Health Department Job
Winston-Salem, NC (Forsyth County)
nFORSYTH COUNTY (NC)
invites applications for the position of:
Public Health Nurse II
SALARY: $23.73 - $27.29 Hourly
OPENING DATE: 05/30/19
CLOSING DATE: Continuous
LOCATION: 799 North Highland Avenue, Winston-Salem
DEPARTMENT: Public Health
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
The Forsyth County Department of Public Health is seeking to hire a team-oriented individual to work as a 10 month Full Time School Nurse. The School Nurse will work for 10 months each year and be off for 2 months each summer.
Please Note: The 2 months off during the summer are unpaid.
The nurse will be a health resources person for the school community, interacting with students and their families on a regular basis, and developing positive relationships that will enhance the students' educational experiences. The School Nurse will provide services to three to four schools and will function autonomously within those assigned schools, but will also be a member of the school health team. This is a school based position, so the nurse will travel directly from home to the assigned schools and to make home visits, if necessary. A county vehicle may be available for such visits.
The ideal candidate will posses the following knowledge and abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of and skill in the application of nursing theory, practices, principles and techniques employed in the field of Public Health and related program;
- Considerable knowledge of available resources and organizations and the ability to coordinate these as needed;
- Working knowledge of current social and economic problems relating to public health;
- Ability to deal tactfully with others and to exercise good judgment in appraising situations and making decisions;
- Ability to secure the cooperation of clients, to elicit needed information and to maintain effective working relationships and;
- Ability to record accurately services rendered and to interpret and explain records, reports and medical instructions.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Graduation from a four year college or university with a B.S. Degree in Nursing which includes a public health nursing rotation and one year of public health nursing experience or;
Graduation from an accredited school of professional nursing and two years of professional nursing experience including one year in public health.
Must be licensed to practice as a Registered Nurse in North Carolina by the North Carolina Board of Nursing.
Valid driver's license is required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Essential duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to: - Checking and monitoring the immunization status of students;
- Implementing emergency care plans and developing, teaching and monitoring plans of care for students with special health needs;
- Teaching and monitoring school staff members in the daily administration and documentation of medications and;
- Assisting in the investigation and monitoring of communicable diseases in the assigned schools and other areas of Forsyth County.